Sunday, 20 August 2017

I have been thinking about making myself another jumper for a while but was waiting for inspiration to strike.  When I saw this wool in the local charity shop (at 50p!) I decided that fate was calling me.  It is King Cole Mirage, sadly discontinued.




I found a couple of patterns I liked, from this book again



One was exactly what I was after, to wear over long sleeved t-shirts in the colder months:



But the stitch was a bit too open and it is made up in Aran weight yarn.  So I found this one in the same book:


I loved the stitch pattern, it is nice and simple, but unfortunately also not in the right weight wool, this one is fingering or four ply, mine is double knit, about twice as thick.  

Well I can adjust for that... So after an evening (or two) spent swatching (is that a word?) I found the combination of hook and pattern that I liked.  And I love the way the variegated yarn brings out the layers of shells in the stitch pattern.  So far so good.



So now I start to make it up.  And find it takes me several goes to get the repeats and the increases in my head...much ripping back required, and the yarn is quite fuzzy so it is a bit fiddly to unpick... I think it is me, not the pattern, I should have remembered that last time I made a cardigan from this book I did much better when I wrote out each row on a separate line, crossing them off as I went..

Move on a week, so now we are here today.  Back and front yoke finished, joined together, a few rows down.... try it on... much too big...:(


So back to sqaure one? Not quite maybe.  I am am one step closer I think - I can visualise the finished item, I know what to do next (I'm going to join the back and front with no under-arm extension, I don't think it needs it, at least the way I have made it up)  And maybe I shall have a go at adding short sleeves.  It may not work... but I will be happy with a vest anyway.  Here it is pinned to a t-shirt, seams folded in to make it the right size:


Good job I like a challenge.  To be continued....



Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment