Well, here is my first attempt at a tutorial, for the little Christmas tree I made earlier in the week, and here's hoping that it works out for you if you want to give it a go. It is a beginner's project, I guess, but we've all got to start somewhere!
Here's the finished tree
Abbreviations :- dc: US double crochet, (uk treble crochet), yarn round hook, insert hook in stitch, yarn round hook and draw through (three loops on hook), yarn round, draw through 2, yarn round, draw through remaining 2 loops.
I used dark green DMC Petra crochet cotton, size 3. That's about 4 or 5 ply US I think. And a 2.5mm crochet hook. But any size yarn and hook as long as the stitches are firm and quite densely crocheted.
Triangle, make two. It is easier than it sounds, as you will see when you work through the steps:
Make a loop, leave a long tail, this will be the hanging loop when you sew it all together.
Foundation row: Chain 4 (3ch counts as first dc of row 1)
Row 1: 2 dc in 4th chain from hook, 1st row completed, (3 stitches) turn
Row 2: Ch 3, 1dc in first dc from previous row, dc in second stitch, 2 dc in third stitch of turning chain from previous row (5 stitches in row), turn
Row 3: Ch 3, 1 dc in first dc from previous row, dc in each of next 3 stitches, 2 dc in third stitch of turning chain from previous row (7 stitches), turn.
Row 4: Ch 3, 1 dc in first dc from previous row, dc in each of next 5 stitches, 2 dc in third stitch of turning chain from previous row (9 stitches), turn.
5 - 11: Continue to increase 1 stitch at each end of every row until the triangle is the size you want it. Mine is 11 rows and finishes with 23 dc in the last row.
Here is a picture of the last stitch in a row before and after the increase. I have always found it fiddly, finding which stitch is the third one of the turning chain. I still fudge it occasionally, as long as the edge looks straight! Sorry, to all those expert crocheters out there:)
First stitch going in:
First stitch at three loops stage
Do the same again, in the same place, and there is your increase:
Cut yarn, leaving a reasonable length tail which you will use to sew the triangles together. Draw yarn through loop to fasten off.
When you have made two triangles join them together, if you darn over the edge carefully you can blend the stitch in with your crochet. I placed a slightly smaller triangle of green felt in between the layers to hide the 'holes' and to give the tree more body. Or you could stuff the body of the tree if you prefer.
Make a loop to hang the tree up from your original tail end of yarn right at the beginning, sew firmly to the top of the triangle, darn in all the ends and trim.
Decorate both sides of the tree with shiny embroidery, I used a chain stitch for tinsel, and sewed on little beads as baubles (from a discarded child's bead kit actually, from many years ago, I never throw anything away!). Or you could glue them on for speed.
And there you have it, a festive tree decoration!
Hope all is clear and correct, feedback would be great, my first tutorial!
Boy does it make you concentrate on what you are doing:)
P.S. Here are the instructions without the pictures, if you want to copy/ print them. Have fun :)
Make a loop, leave a long tail, on one of the triangles anyway.
Foundation row: Chain 4 (3ch counts as first dc of row 1)
Row 1: 2 dc in 4th chain from hook, 1st row completed, (3 stitches) turn
Row 2: Ch 3, 1dc in first dc from previous row, dc in second stitch, 2 dc in third stitch of turning chain from previous row (5 stitches in row), turn
Row 3: Ch 3, 1 dc in first dc from previous row, dc in each of next 3 stitches, 2 dc in third stitch of turning chain from previous row (7 stitches), turn.
Row 4: Ch 3, 1 dc in first dc from previous row, dc in each of next 5 stitches, 2 dc in third stitch of turning chain from previous row (9 stitches), turn.
5 - 11: Continue to increase 1 stitch at each end of every row until the triangle is the size you want it. E.g 11 rows finishing with 23 dc in the last row.
Cut yarn, leaving a reasonable length tail which you will use to sew the triangles together. Draw yarn through loop to fasten off.
Repeat the above to make another triangle, join them together using the end tail of thread and a whip stitch or similar.
Make a loop to hang the tree up from your original tail end of yarn right at the beginning, sew firmly to the top of the triangle, darn in all the ends and trim.
Decorate both sides of the tree with shiny embroidery thread, beads or other decoration. Hang and admire :)
A week in Saint-Malo
-
It's been a very long time since I've been abroad, maybe 13 years (?!) I
have never had the money to afford big trips and I recently received a tax...
2 days ago









I'm impressed with your tutorial such a lot of work. I plan to have a go at it soon I seem to run out of hours in the day Christmas is coming too fast. Hope yours is merry and bright. Laurie
ReplyDelete