Tuesday, 17 January 2012

Tinker, tailor, soldier, sailor..

Rich man, poor man, beggar man, thief!

Do you know this rhyme? It goes on, I don't remember all the words but I do remember the second verse ends in Indian chief!

Anyway, I definitely don't know enough verses for the amount of damson stones I have here.

I found a carrier bag of damsons in the freezer that my sister gave me from her tree a while ago ( it might even have been 2010, oops!). I'm not that fond of damsons so they have languished there ever since. But having been up to see my brother and his family, and having been given a selection of very delicious chutneys with my lunch I decided it was time to make some myself.

And now I remember why I don't like damsons. Too many #€£¥% stones!






In the recipe I used for the chutney, Delia suggested using rubber gloves to separate the stones from the flesh. Works a treat but it doesn't half make a mess!



Oh and I had some damsons over so I made some jam. More stones, more mess.









But it will be nice when it is eaten. The chutney is still cooking by the way, hence no pictures of the finished item in nice clean jars. Phew the house smells of vinegar too.
Now to clean up the kitchen :(

No comments:

Post a Comment